The Olson Memorial Library offers many services to our patrons and the community.
- Public access computers which include word processing, email, educational games and printing capabilities
- FREE 24 hour wireless access
- Kids' activity kits including puppets and games; Weekly story times and fascinating summer library programs
- Large audio and video collections, both VHS and DVD
- Laminator and color copier
- Fax service
- Overhead and media projector with Powerpoint capabilities
- Slide projector
- 16mm movie projector and a tape recorder all of which may be checked out locally.
- Conference/meeting room-make reservations ahead of time; it's a popular place!
- Cake pans are available for checkout just like books. Search in our catalog under the subject: cake pans
- Sorenson nTouch videophone for the deaf and hard-of-hearing which enables the user to conduct conversations through a video relay system using American Sign Language. The nTouch software is installed on a library laptop with a built-in camera and is available free of charge
The library has a copy machine that will copy in black and white or color.
The cost for black and white is:
- .15/side for 8 1/2 x 11 and 8 1/2 x 14
- .25/side for 11x17
Color copies are:
- .25/side for 8 1/2 x 11
- 1.25/side for 8 1/2 x 14
- 1.75/side for 11 x 17
Our printer is accessible from our public use computers. Printouts are .10/page.
The Library also offers fax services at $1.00/page.
Need that special item that's not available here at Olson Memorial Library? Just search one of the other libraries within the Northern Waters Library System or ask us to find it for you. You also have at your disposal a vast array of resources and library systems that can help you get that elusive book, thesis, genealogy, or archived newspaper article. Use the links below or just call and ask; chances are good we will be able to locate what you need.
Merlin is the catalog shared by NWLS member libraries. Your Merlin card number can be used to access your account and place holds, request items from other libraries, renew your items, or check the status your library record.
|WISCAT is a statewide database for borrowing outside our NWLS Merlin catalog system (always check Merlin first, just in case). Use the WISCAT link and your Merlin card number to access the catalog and find the item you are looking for. You can even create your own WISCAT account to keep track of your WISCAT request status. Once you find the item you want, use the Request this item button located on the item page to place your request.
You can also make inter-library loan requests by email or by calling the library (715) 479-8070. Once your request is in we will notify you and you can pick up and return the item at the library.
Do I qualify for library services by mail?
The NWLS Mail-A-Book program is a county-funded library service for people of all ages who cannot use a public library because of disability or travel limitation or living in areas without a local public library. Walter E. Olson Memorial Library is a member of NWLS and this service is available to residents of Vilas County.
Eligibility for the Mail-A-Book service is outlined on the Mail-A-Book Card Application.
To apply for Mail-A-Book service, print, complete, sign, and send the application to the address on the application.
The Wisconsin Talking Book and Braille Library (WTBBL) is a also a service available to Wisconsin residents eligible for access to special collections of Braille and recorded books, audio-described videotapes and DVDs, playback and digital equipment. For more information visit http://talkingbooks.dpi.wi.gov/ or phone (800) 242-8822.
Our extensive reference section includes both children's and adult encyclopedias, law, college, and career information. Here you will also find automotive help, including Chilton's, NADA new and used car guides, atlases, phone books and numerous other guides.